Sunday 1 January 2012

New Year, New You?

I love New Year! I love the ending of the old and the beginning of the new. I love looking back on the previous year, taking stock of what I've done, where I'm at, and what has been happening in my wider life. And then the real excitement for me is looking forwards to the new year stretching ahead and making some choices about how I would like to play things this year, deciding what changes I would like to make and how I'm going to do that.

New Year reminds me of the time when I was getting better. I remember my partner saying to me that the biggest problem I would face in getting better was deciding what to do with my life. It was a lovely problem to have! Having had a severely restricted life for many years, and being bed-ridden for months, it felt as if 'I' didn't really exist at all, and I began the process of deciding who I wanted to be and what I wanted to do. I still cherish this experience and the opportunity to re-design my life and who 'I' am. New Year reminds me of this time, and the opportunity we have at whatever stage we are at in our lives to make changes. We have choices. As my partner reminded me on our creekside walk this afternoon, the past has gone; all that we have is the present. And in the present we have choices....

Tomorrow I'm taking myself off out West for my annual review and planning meeting with myself. I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. You are so wise, Julia. It is wonderful that you share your wisdom so generously. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete